Monday, June 20, 2011

Themes of the Year

Lately I've been fascinated with image, persona, the way a woman sees herself. And how these thoughts of how should they look can be abused, taken to the extreme-whether it's them doing plasic surgery, getting lifts, or simply putting on- what I call their 'mask'-Makeup.

In the last short movie I directed 'Beautiful Women Wake Up Early' is a story that touches on vanity and sexuality. This is just a small dose, there is story that I still have in mind to do about plastic surgery...a major topic (esp. in Hollywood) in various places. In Brazil there are many getting plastic surgery, as well as Japan. High percentages. This fascinates me because it's so psychological. It's all in the mind how we want to be seen and how we see ourselves...and where our influences come from to why we want to look-dress-a certain way.

The other major theme/topic that keeps popping up is the relationship between father and daughter. This is something I've tackled in my lastest scripts-'My Angry Summer' (due to go into production Summer 2012), 'Begin' (feature length), 'Identity' (short-in post production) and the upcoming short 'A Thousand Kisses Before Death' (due to begin production this fall). It's a topic that doesn't grow old and that should be depicted more on screen because the importance of it I don't think people really get it as of yet. The major role of the father figure in a young girls' life and how if this relationship isn't developed in a nurishing way, it has a profound effect on the daughter, and can possibly have a ripple effect for the next generation.  

These stories are leading into the feature length epic 'The Lost Breed'. This movie is to be the kick off to a massive trilogy that dares to go into the murky corridors of the underworld life of prostitution and human trafficking. This is serious business.

After coming off of directing 'Beautiful Women Wake Up Early' , my directing and approach to movies has changed-for the better-I dare not to turn back-nothing is mediocre-nothing is impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment