Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tower of Books Part 1: DAVID LEAN by Kevin Brownlow



So one of the best bio's I've ever read is Kevin Brownlow's David Lean.
David Lean, the director of such epic films such as 'The Bridge on the River Kwai' 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'Doctor Zhivago', has defiantely left a huge mark on the cinema and filmmakers before and after, leaving a trail of How to make successfully paced films. The book reveals sooo much about this enigmatic of a director by the end of the book I felt like I knew him and I became disgusted by the things he did as well as fascinated. The book reveals the many facades of the man who married five times, who tried shooting the sun straight on in 'Arabia', and who kept shooting the train scene in 'Zhivago' after a woman fell under the train, the ways he would shun actors away off the set, etc...the list goes on...it's not a book of gossip, it really does journey deep down into this one man's exciting life and it goes into depth of the making of his movies. It mentions how he got into the business, first being an editor. The opening chapter reads like a mystery novel. It's absolutely an amazing book, that is over 800 pages, but worth reading.

Note: I must admit one of the chapters I did get bored with and didn't finish reading it but I read the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment